Yes, Strawberry and Rhubarb is a hack combination to some of you. Whoopdy goddamn doo. I've never actually eaten it before and now I understand why it's so often eaten; it's fuckin' good.
It's the third day of Spring and if you live in the Northeast, you know what a shit Winter it's been, so when I saw decent, seasonal Strawberries and Rhubarb in the store, I bought them, then made this.
Make this, now. Make it and eat it.
Baked Strawberry-Rhubarb Oat Crisp
· ½ C + ¼ C Old-Fashioned Oats
· Pinch Salt
· ⅛ t Cardamom, ground
· ⅛ t Clove, ground
· ¼ t Cinnamon, ground
· 1 T Pistachios Or Other Nut, chopped
· 1 T Dried Fruit
· 3-4 T Milk (Plant or Animal based)
· 1-2 Mint Leaves, chiffonade (optional)
· 1 C Strawberries, quartered
· 1 C Rhubarb Stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces
· ½ Lemon Juiced
· 1 T Honey
· 1 T Rum (omit and replace with water, if you must)
· Set oven to “Bake” and preheat to 375◦F.
· In a small saucepan, heat Strawberries, Rhubarb, Rum, Honey and Lemon Juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about twenty minutes, until the fruit has softened and the liquid turns partially syrupy.
· Remove from heat, stir in Mint Leaves, cover and set aside.
· In a coffee grinder, grind ¼ C of the Oats and mix that together with the rest of the Oats, Spices, Nuts and Dried Fruit. Then, 1 T at a time, stir in the milk, until it all just comes together.
· Into a greased ramekin, pour the Strawberry-Rhubarb mixture. Then, carefully top that with the oat mixture.
· Place ramekin into oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Check after Ten minutes. When it’s done, the oats should be slightly browned and the fruit mixture should be bubbling along the rim of the dish.
· Remove from oven and let cool for ten minutes.
Mix a little honey, almond butter or coconut butter with a splash of milk and a few Tablespoons of yogurt. Then top the crisp with that! BANGIN’
Also, top it with sliced strawberries.
Just before transferring to ramekin, stir a little bit of chopped, fresh mint. SUPERB!